The following visa subclasses are applicable under certain conditions explained below:
Postgraduate Research Sector visa (subclass 500)
This visa allows you to stay in Australia to do postgraduate research.
Streamlined Visa Processing
Streamlined visa processing for this visa is designed for international students applying to study in Australia at a participating university. You may be eligible for streamlined visa processing if your main course of study is a Masters degree by research or a Doctoral degree.
You might be able to get this visa if you are enrolled as a student in a registered course for the award of:
• a masters degree by research
• a doctoral degree.
This visa allows you to stay in Australia for the duration of your course. It permits multiple entries to Australia. Dependent family members who come with you to Australia are usually able to stay the same length of time as you, but they cannot stay once you have left the country.
With this visa:
• you can study in Australia
• eligible dependent family members can accompany you to Australia
• you can work unlimited hours once you have commenced your masters by research or doctorate course of study in Australia
• your family members can work unlimited hours once you have commenced your masters by research or doctorate course of study in Australia
o If you have commenced a preliminary course (such as an ELICOS course) you and your family members are restricted to working 40 hours per fortnight until you have commenced your masters or doctorate course of study in Australia.
o If you have been granted Student visa before 26 April 2008 you and your dependent family members may need to apply separately for Permission to Work.
• your partner can study in Australia for up to three months.
Note: If your partner wants to study for more than three months they must apply for their own student visa. The application can be made in Australia.
Please contact us for further information about this visa.