The following visa subclasses are applicable under certain conditions explained below:
Training and Research visa (subclass 402)
This visa allows you to:
• take part in structured workplace-based training to enhance your skills in your current occupation, area of tertiary study, or field of expertise (Occupational Trainee stream)
• participate in a professional development training program in Australia after being invited to do so Professional Development stream
• observe or participate in an Australian research project after being invited to do so (Research stream).
You might be able to get this visa if you are one of the following:
• an occupational trainee (Occupational Trainee stream)
• a professional, manager or government official (Professional Development stream)
• a professional academic (Research stream)
You must meet the requirements of the stream in which you apply.
The Training and Research visa (subclass 402) is for people who want to come to Australia on a temporary basis to participate in occupational training, observe or participate in research as a visiting academic, or participate in a professional development program.
This visa has three streams:
• Occupational Trainee stream: for people who need structured workplace-based training to enhance their skills in their current occupation, area of tertiary study, or field of expertise.
• Professional Development stream: for professionals, managers or government officials invited to participate in a professional development training program in Australia. The program must have been arranged by an employer outside Australia and usually lasts up to 18 months.
• Research stream: for professional academics invited to visit Australia to observe or participate in an Australian research project at an Australian tertiary or research institution.
This visa allows you to:
• enter Australia at any time after your visa is granted, if you are outside Australia at the time of visa grant
• stay in Australia for the duration of the training, research position or program
• do the training or activity specified in your visa application
• travel to and from Australia as many times as you want until you have finished participating in the program or your visa expires, whichever occurs first.
You might be able to get this visa if you:
• are sponsored by one of the following:
o a training and research sponsor who has lodged their sponsorship application or had it approved
o an approved professional development sponsor
o an approved visiting academic sponsor or occupational trainee sponsor (for sponsorship applications lodged before 24 November 2012)
• meet the requirements of the visa for the stream in which you are applying
• have a genuine intention to stay temporarily in Australia
• have adequate financial support for yourself and accompanying family members while in Australia
• have adequate arrangements for health insurance while in Australia
• meet health and character requirements.
• are at least 18 years of age (except in limited circumstances).
You may be asked to provide evidence that you can financially support yourself and your accompanying family members while in Australia.
You cannot bring your family if you apply for this visa under the Professional Developmentstream.
You can bring your family members to Australia if you apply for this visa under the Occupational Trainee or Research stream.
You can include the following people in your visa application:
• your partner (married or de facto)
• your or your partner’s dependent children
• other dependent relatives.
This visa is valid for the period of the position, usually up to a maximum of:
• Occupational Trainee stream: two years
• Professional Development stream: 18 months
• Research stream: 12 months.
Please contact us for further information about this visa.