The following visa subclasses are applicable under certain conditions explained below:
Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189)
This visa is for points-tested skilled workers who are not sponsored by an employer or family member or nominated by a state or territory government.
It allows you to live and work in Australia as a permanent resident.
Please contact us for further information about this visa.
You might be eligible to apply for this visa if invited. When we sent your letter of invitation, you must also have:
• nominated an occupation that is on the relevant skilled occupation list
• obtained a suitable skills assessment for that occupation
• not yet turned 50 years of age
• achieved the score specified in your letter of invitation based on the factors in the points test
• at least competent English.
The Skilled-Independent visa (subclass 189) is a permanent residence visa for points-tested skilled workers who want to work and live in Australia.
To be able to apply for this visa you need to submit an expression of interest and then be invited through SkillSelect to apply.
You can be in or outside Australia when you apply and when the visa is granted.
This is a permanent residence visa. It allows you and any family members who have also been granted this visa to:
• stay in Australia indefinitely
• work and study in Australia
• enrol in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses
• apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)
• sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
• travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that time, you will need a resident return visa or another visa to return to Australia).