Children Permanent Stay
The following visa subclasses are applicable under certain conditions explained below:
Adoption visa (subclass 102)
This visa allows an adopted child who is outside Australia to come to Australia to live with their adoptive parents.
This visa is for children:
• outside Australia
• younger than 18 years old
• already adopted or in the process of being adopted
• sponsored by an adoptive parent or prospective adoptive parent.
The adoptive parent sponsors the child for this visa and usually applies on their behalf. The child must be outside Australia when the application is lodged and when the vias is granted.
An adoptive parent must be:
• an Australian citizen
• the holder of an Australian permanent resident visa
• an eligible New Zealand citizen.
This is a permanent residence visa. It allows the child to:
• travel to and stay in Australia indefinitely
• work and study in Australia
• enrol in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses
• apply for Australian citizenship (if they are eligible)
• sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
• travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted – after that time they will need another visa to enter Australia.
If the adoption is through a state or territory adoption authority, you can lodge the application before the adoption is finalised.
Please contact us for further information about this visa.