Business Innovation and Investment
The following visa subclasses are applicable under certain conditions explained below:
Business Owner visa (subclass 890)
This is a permanent residence visa. You will be able to travel in and out of Australia for five years.
A Business Owner (subclass 890) visa is for people who own and manage a business in Australia.
You might be able to get this visa if you:
• hold one of the required provisional business visas
• managed your business in Australia for the past two years.
This is a permanent residence visa. It allows you and any family members who have also been granted this visa to:
• stay in Australia indefinitely
• work and study in Australia
• enrol in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses
• apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)
• sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
• travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that time, you will need a resident return visa or another visa to return to Australia).
You might be able to get this visa if:
• you hold one of the following provisional visas granted on the basis that you or your current or former spouse or de facto partner satisfied the primary criteria:
o Business Owner (Provisional) visa (subclass 160)
o Senior Executive (Provisional) visa (subclass 161)
o Investor (Provisional) visa (subclass 162)
o State/Territory Sponsored Business Owner (Provisional) visa (subclass 163)
o State/Territory Sponsored Senior Executive (Provisional) visa (subclass 164)
o State/Territory Sponsored Investor (Provisional) visa (subclass 165)
• you have lived in Australia on one of these visas for at least 12 months in the past two years
• you and all your family members meet health and character requirements
• you have a genuine commitment to continue to maintain business or investment activities in Australia.
To apply for this visa you must show that:
• you and your partner have never been involved in unacceptable business activities
• you have direct and continuous management of up to two businesses operating in Australia for the past two years
• you own at least one of the following:
o 51 per cent of a business with an annual turnover of less than AUD400 000
o 30 per cent of a business with an annual turnover of AUD400 000 or more
o 10 per cent of a business that is a publicly listed company
o 10 per cent of your main business in Australia if purchased before 19 April 2010.
You must also show that during the past year:
• your main business (or two main businesses together) had a turnover of at least AUD300 000
• the net value of your (or your partner’s, or you and your partner's combined) assets in the main business (or two main businesses) in Australia was at least AUD100 000
o the net value of your (or your partner’s, or you and your partner's combined) personal and business assets in Australia was at least AUD250 000.
• you or your partner’s businesses employed at least the equivalent of two full-time employees who are:
o Australian citizens
o Australian permanent residents
o New Zealand passport holders
o not members of your family.
Please contact us for further information about this visa.